It is shocking where folks go for their nutrition/ weight loss advice. Facebook. Instagram. Hair dresser. Google. B list celebrities. And in last place, the registered, licensed dietitian. Y tho?! You wouldn’t go to your mechanic for heart surgery, would you? I’ve been in the biz 14 years and today, I want to chat about what has worked in regards to weigh loss. Long story short if you are looking to manage your weight, follow science. Not trends.
I’ve talked about weight loss before, but today, I want to focus on a few small changes. Here are 5 super easy tips to help tip the scale in your favor:
- Slow and steady wins the race. If you inhale your meal, you are more likely to be overweight. So, pump the breaks and be present! Mindful eating is legit. Want more information? Search the #mindfuleating and #dietitian on instagram for more inspo.
- Fiber. Your new favorite “F” word. You guys….we suck at fiber consumption. On average we get maybe 13 grams a day….well short of the 25-38 grams that are recommended. Fiber keeps you fuller longer and guess what else, it makes the good for you gut bacteria super happy. Those who consume more fiber consume less calories and have lower BMIs.
- Portion distortion. Easy way to cut calories is to watch your portion. I tell my clients to eat off of salad plates instead of dinner plates (this still give the illusion of full plate so you don’t feel cheated).
- Watch the liquids. So it’s not what you think! Of course you should limit liquid calories like booze and juice but recent research shows consuming low calorie liquids before your meal like water and broth based soups cause you to eat less! Additionally drinking more water throughout the day helps prevent dehydration which can sometimes mask itself as hunger.
- Hello protein. Research shows that if we consume protein evenly throughout our days, we tend to be more satisfied (staying fuller, longer) preventing us from overeating. Unfortunately this is not how we normally eat. We usually go full on carbs at breakfast saving our protein for dinner. It’s time to rethink our program strategy. Spread your lean protein evenly throughout your day to slow down digestion, positively affect hunger hormones and help those muscles repair faster! Shoutout to eggs, peanut butter, yogurt and beans!
Have questions? Reach out to a registered dietitian. There are tons of us who take insurance and offer telehealth services.