So I work full time and am a super social dietitian. I say this because who has the time to buy a whole butternut squash, peal it, seed it and then cut it. That takes about 15-20 minutes.
That is 15-20 minutes I could be working out, or sipping wine at happy hour, or reading, or even stalking someone on social media (don’t judge, you know you do it too), you get the picture. For about a $1.50-$2, butternut squash comes pre cut! No brainer for me. Save time (and possibly my fingers).
Most places sell bags in 20 oz (about 5 cups) or 16 oz (about 3 cups). I usually opt for the 20 oz so I have leftovers (can you tell I love saving time?).
What you will need:
- Preheated oven at 400
- 20 oz bag of butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 Tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary (more if you like the flavor) (less if you are using dried rosemary)
- salt and pepper
How to cook butternut squash:
- Place butternut squash in a ziplock bag or large mixing bowl.
- To the butternut squash, add EVOO, balsamic vinegar, fresh rosemary , pinch of salt and pinch of pepper.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- On a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with a non stick spray like PAM, arrange squash in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, stir and bake for another 20 minutes. In a rush? Bump it up to 425, bake for 15 minutes, stir, and bake for another 15 until tender.
This is a easy, peasy not fancy but looks fancy and sounds fancy side dish. #imsofancy #kindof
Why I like butternut squash: it’s taste good and it’s good for you. Hello fiber, potassium, Vitamin A and vitamin C. It is also holds the “Most Popular” title for winter squash and what can I say? I love titles.